Centre Region Parks and Recreation (CRPR) oversees the Tom Tudek Park Community Gardens program, established in 2005. The garden development resulted from the efforts of the Tom Tudek Memorial Trust, Ferguson Township, and volunteer Joe Banks.
A Little Bit About The Gardens
- CRPR oversees the management of the gardens; both Administrative staff and Parks Maintenance Caretakers assist with various tasks related to garden management such as tool inventory, garden plot coordination and communications, ordering supplies, coordinating the work days, and more.
- The official garden season is from early April to mid- to late-November; some gardeners do plant fall and winter crops and will occasionally visit the gardens to manage those crops. Officially, though, the gardens are closed and CRPR’s only role in the winter is to organize plots and supplies for the upcoming season.
- Gardeners have the choice of single or double plots, and regular or organic plots as well.
- Returning in 2018 will be a Garden Community Oversight Committee to help CRPR with day-to-day management of the gardens and to re-build community relations at the gardens. More information will be posted soon about this opportunity!
During the Growing Season
- When the gardens officially open each season, CRPR will have marked and numbered each plot.
- Once freezing temperatures are no longer a factor, the water spigots will be available; water buckets are allowed but garden hoses are not welcome at the gardens.
- A porta-john unit is available (year-round) near the corn crib (behind the barn).
- Gardeners agree to abide by all of the yearly rules as noted in the Garden Plot Rules & Regulations, and as agreed to when signing the Garden Plot Agreement, and they understand that the seasonal plot permit may be terminated at any time for violations of that Agreement.
- Several work days are held during the season to foster community relations, to do some non-garden work on the paths, the fence lines, and other clean-up. Sometimes, special speakers will be present to discuss garden-related topics.
- Wood chips and compost are provided several times during the growing season.
- Plant material debris and trash are picked up by CRPR several times during a season; bins and receptacles are provided. Non-garden trash is not accepted.
- Gardeners must provide all plant material and all other supplies for their plots.
The 2018 Garden Plot Fees are as follows:
- Single Plots @ 300 sq. ft. = $35 (~$.12/sf)
- Double Plots @ 600 sq. ft. = $70 (~$.12/sf)