All staff and volunteers subject to the CRPR Child Safety Policy are required to participate in child safety training prior to employment; training is only required once upon employment with the Agency. Recommended training options are listed here. Upon hiring and prior to starting work with CRPR, a Certificate of Completion must be submitted for that employee’s personnel file. Failure to submit proof of training may result in an unpaid suspension from work until such proof is submitted.
Mandated Reporters & Reporting
- CRPR staff and volunteers, ages 14 yrs. and older, are Mandated Reporters as defined by PA Act 126. Mandated reporters are required by law to report suspected child abuse if they have reasonable cause to suspect child abuse under any of the following circumstances:
- Individuals who, in the practice of their employment, occupation or practice of a professions, come into contact with children and have reasonable cause to suspect that a child under the care, supervision, guidance, or training of that person or of an agency, institution, organization or other entity with which that person is affiliated is a victim of child abuse.
- A person makes a specific disclosure to the mandated reporter that an identifiable child is the victim of child abuse.
- An individual, 14 years of age or older, makes a specific disclosure to the mandated reporter that the individual has committed child abuse. It is not required that the child come before the mandated reporter in order to make a report of suspected child abuse nor are they required to identify the person responsible for the child abuse to make a report of suspected child abuse.
- Mandated reporters must make an immediate and direct report of suspected child abuse to ChildLine either electronically or by calling 1-800- 932-0313. If an oral report is made to ChildLine, a report of suspected child abuse form (CY 47) must be completed and forwarded to the county children and youth agency within 48 hours after making the report. This form can be found here. If a report is made electronically, no CY-47 is required.
- CRPR has defined the following steps for staff who suspect child abuse while on duty:
- Immediately report suspected abuse to ChildLine via the Internet or by calling 1-800-932-0313.
- If a verbal report if submitted, complete Form CY47 within 48 hours of the verbal report to ChildLine. Form CY47 is available at the CRPR Office as well as electronically.
- The staff member should notify their supervisor that a report has been submitted.
- The staff member witnessing the abuse and/or completing the report can seek appropriate counseling if necessary.
- The CRPR Director may amend this policy, subject to the CRPRA endorsement within 45 days of that action, for the following:
- To permit the use of other services which provide authorized Criminal Background Checks and/or Child Abuse Clearances, as those services become available,
- To accommodate applicable revisions to state or federal laws