Centre Region Parks & Recreation Board /
Centre Region Parks & Recreation Authority
Meeting Agenda for Thursday, 10 Apr 08, 12:15 PM
at the Centre Region COG Building, Forum Room
I. CALL TO ORDER and ROLL CALL:
• Ms. Sue Mascolo, Chair Ferguson Twp. • Mr. Roy Harpster, Vice-Chair Harris Twp.
• Ms. Kathy Matason, Sec. College Twp. • Ms. Donna Conway, Treas. State College Borough
• Dr. Donna M. Ricketts SCASD • Mr. Chris Hurley, Patton Twp.
II. COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC for any item not on the agenda (up to 5 min./person)
III. APPROVAL OF MINUTES from the March meeting (Attachment # 1) (Action)
IV. ACTION ON VOUCHERS from March (Attachment # 2) (Action)
V. COMMITTEE REPORTS
• Millbrook Marsh Nature Center Advisory Committee: Kathy Matason
• COG Ad Hoc Regional Park Committee: (see update in Action & Info. Items, below)
• Member & Municipal Committee Updates:
College Twp. Ferguson Twp. Patton Twp.
State College Borough Harris Twp. SCASD
VI. STAFF REPORTS
• Activity Report: March (Attachment # 3)
• Active.Net news release & service update: Ms. Ishler (Attachment # 4)
• Summer Leisure Guide Published: Ms. Lee (Attachment # 5)
• The “CRPR REC-Card” proposal (from staff): Mr. Woodhead
• Community Garden Plot Update: Mr. Woodhead
• “Keystone Active Zone” (KAZ) program for 2008: Mr. Hall
• Other pending grant or award applications: Mr. Woodhead
- State Capital Grant for the Nature Center (seeking release by Gov. Rendell)
- PA Center for Local Government Excellence for the cooperation related to the nature
center) (to be announced by Gov. Rendell for 15 Apr 08 luncheon)
- PA Conservation Corp Grant Application (pending)
- PA Fish & Boat Commission to assist in funding a new “Flyfishing for Bass” Youth Camp at
the nature center (pending a 15 Apr 08 announcement date)
- PA DCNR to prepare a Master Site Plan for the Whitehall Road Parklands (pending)
• Supervisor Highlights:
Ms. Lee Ms. Hetrick Mr. Hall
Mr. Greg Roth Ms. Lindenbaum Mr. Todd Roth
VII. COMMUNICATIONS - none
VIII. ACTION & INFORMATION ITEMS
A. POOL RENEWAL FUNDING PROCESS: Mr. Woodhead
Based upon the bank quotes received, the recommendations of the Financing Advisor, the
actions of the five participating municipalities and the COG General Forum, the COG Finance
Committee has recommended that the Authority proceed with the necessary documents to
finance the two pool renewals via a bank note ($7.9 million for 20-years, pre-payable w/o
penalty at anytime and guaranteed by the five municipalities) from Jersey Shore State
Bank. The following individuals will be present at the Authority meeting to explain the
evaluation and financing process and to seek authorization for the Authority officers to sign
the necessary documents:
Mr. Chris Gibbons or Mr. Daryl Peck, Concord Public Finance Group
Mr. Jens H. Damgaard, Esquire & Bond Counsel
Mr. Terry Williams, Authority Solicitor
Action on the following documents will be requested:
1. Resolution to approve the Jersey Shore State Bank proposal.
2. Loan Agreement between CRRA and the bank.
3. Form of Requisition to receive draws on the bank loan.
4. Amended Municipal Participation Agreement
5. Amended Municipal Guaranty Agreement
(Attachment # 6) (Actions)
As part of the financing process and as approved by the participating municipalities, the
corporate life of the Authority has been extended for 50 years (through 2058). Otherwise,
the Authority would have expired in 2020.
B. PARK FOREST POOL RENEWAL (CONSTRUCTION): Mr. Woodhead
1. Project Schedule:
- Awaiting comments/approval from PA DCNR (submitted mid-Feb).
- The submittal to Centre Region Code Agency has been authorized by CRRA
- Bidding has been authorized by CRRA upon approval by PA DCNR.
2. Reciprocal Parking Agreement: As authorized in February, the proposed agreement was
presented to SCASD on 25 Feb 08. Mr. Poprik has reported that the agreement was
approved by the SCASD Board on 24 Mar 08. It has not yet been returned to the
C. WELCH POOL RENEWAL - MASTER SITE PLAN (MSP): Mr. Woodhead
Review the General Issues:
• Concept Option #3 was approved by each municipality with a $5.4m ceiling.
• Incorporate the Borough Zoning requirements (setbacks and parking requirements)
➔ Explore Site Layout / Access / Shared Parking options and the necessary agreement w/
SCASD - then work towards the site layout options.
▪ Submit DCNR Grant Application (by 25 Apr 08 w/ Authority resolution and other Letters of
▪ Finalize Access & Shared Parking Agreement
▪ Resume the presentation / consensus by the municipalities & the community
▪ Continue and complete the Master Site Plan for Welch Pool
On Tu 1 Apr 08, a Joint Work Session was held at the COG Building with the School Board,
the Authority and the COG Ad Hoc Regional Park Committee. A copy of the presentation with
4 specific requests to the District is attached (Attachment # 7A). Mr. Woodhead will review
the discussion for the Authority; comments from the Board are encouraged. A follow-up
letter was then prepared to the School Board (Attachment #7B)
As a result of that work session, the School Board has invited the Authority and COG
officials to attend their meeting on Mo. 14 Apr 08, 7:30 PM as they consider action on the
Welch Pool Construction Grant Application for construction:
Since the grant application window for parks & recreation construction projects has been
revised to one per year (in April), it will be necessary to submit the CRRA grant application
for construction at this time - before the Master Site Plan is finalized. If approved by PA
DCNR, the schedule will permit pool construction to begin in early-August 2009, as planned.
The grant application for $400,000 by the CRRA was unanimously endorsed by the COG
General Forum on 24 Mar 08.
The following motion may be considered:
That the Authority approve Resolution # 1-2008, which is a required part of the grant
application to be submitted in the amount of $400,000 to assist in the detailed design and
construction of the renewal of Wm. L. Welch Community Swimming Pool.
(Attachment # 8) (Action)
D. REGIONAL PARK UPDATES: Mr. Woodhead
1. Oak Hall Parklands - Master Site Plan: 7 firms submitted proposals for the project on
24 Jan 08. After evaluating each proposal, the COG Ad Hoc Regional Park Committee and
two members of the CRPR Board interviewed the four top-rated firms on Th 20 Mar 08,
noon-5 PM at the Boalsburg Fire Co. (4 one-hour interviews were held). A set of uniform
interview questions were presented to each firm. The group then cast ballots at the end of
the day and the following firm was recommended to the COG General Forum:
Pashek Associates, Pittsburgh PA www.pashekla.com
(in partnership with Mr. Dan Jones RLA, of Bellefonte)
The COG General Forum then unanimously approved the recommendation on Mon., 24 Mar
08 for a total amount not to exceed $66,000. This project will move forward with a state
matching grant of up to $38,000. That selection has since been officially approved by PA
DCNR, so the project may now proceed.
2. Whitehall Road Parkland Acquisition: In February, the COG General Forum and the
Ferguson Township Board of Supervisors officially approved the Sales Agreement for this
purchase. That agreement was then approved by the PSU Board of Trustees on 21 Mar 08. It
is expected that closing will occur in May.
3. Whitehall Road Parkland: Grant Application for a Master Site Plan
As reported in March, staff has learned from PA DCNR that the Sept. 2007 grant application
submitted to prepare a Master Site Plan for the Whitehall Road Parklands is still under
consideration. It is not known when the selected applicants will be announced by the
IX. ADJOURNMENT (Action)
NEXT REGULAR MEETING:
Th 8 May 08, 12:15 PM at Millbrook Marsh Nature Center Barn
- Consider a partnership request from a Disk Golf Group regarding their programs at Circleville Park
- Discuss the development of the 2009 Program Plan (the initial budget document for 2009)