About the Band
The Municipal Band was formed in 1976 with a group of approximately 80 amateur and semi-professional band members. Preforming four free indoor concerts per year, the band’s repertoire ranges from pop songs to standard band classics, including overtures, transcriptions, and marches. The free concerts are held in State College Area School District facilities, and concert locations are announced in advance. Donations for the band are gratefully accepted at the door. Everyone is welcome!
- Spring concert: Sunday, April 15, 3:00 PM, at the Park Forest Middle School Auditorium. This is a new location and a first-time location for the band!
- Mother's Day concert: Sunday, May 13, 3:00 PM, at the Mount Nittany Middle School Auditorium. This is a very special concert as Dr. Ned Diehl is retiring after 22 years as the Director of the State College Area Municipal Band, and this will be his final concert. Treat Mom to a wonderful Mother's Day outing and show your appreciation for Dr. Diehl's hard work and volunteerism with this group!
The State College Area Municipal Band became a year-round continuing performing organization in 1981. Prior to 1981 the band played occasional concerts for the Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts. The first band, records indicate, was organized to play at the 1976 Arts Festival.
Under Dr. Ramsey as full-time conductor in 1981, the band started playing indoor concerts, with the first taking place in February of that same year, followed by the first annual Mother's Day concert. The band added a fall concert in 1983, later to develop into its annual Salute to Veterans. In May, 1984, Dr. 0. Richard Bundy became the director. In 1985, in addition to their two regularly held concerts, the band began to play regularly for the Kiwanis Club's 4th of July Fireworks display at Beaver Stadium.
In February, 1996 Dr. Ned C. Deihl, Professor Emeritus and retired Director of Bands at Penn State, became the conductor of the Band. In November 1998, the band formally organized with bylaws, officers, and a Board of Directors, and established its partnership with Centre Region Parks and Recreation, which continues to this day.
In May, 2005, the band was honored with an invitation, to perform at the National Convention of the American Association of Concert Bands in Williamsport, PA, "hitting the road" for the first time in its history. The band currently has a diverse group of individuals including players that range in age from 19 to 82, and coming from the Centre Region area including State College, Bellefonte, Howard, Aaronsburg, Lock Haven, Mifflinburg, Lewistown, Huntingdon, and Johnstown.
Each year during its indoor season the band holds four Sunday afternoon Programs--Fall, Winter, Spring, and Mother's Day. The band also usually performs three times during the summer: Arts Festival, the 4th Fest, and the Summer Music Picnic Series at South Hills.
- Click here for the State College Municipal Band Bylaws
- Click here for the complete Band Roster
- Click here for the Donation Roster
You can help support the State College Municipal Band by clicking here to donate today!