PA Conservation Corps Project List
by Centre Region Parks & Recreation Authority
for July 2006 - June 2007
(as of 10 Apr 06)
The intent of this proposed grant project will be to continue the improvements to the facilities at:
(A.) Millbrook Marsh Nature Center
(B.) various municipal parks, and
(C.) the lands (& trails) of Mt. Nittany Conservancy.
The tasks will restore or improve the quality of the resource, provide direct public benefits, and include varied and substantial job skills and educational opportunities.
During this 5th year of the PCC partnership, it is proposed that the projects continue to include a focus on the municipal park areas - as a result of requests from the 5 municipalities and the progress-to-date at the nature center and the park sites - with an expansion to the park-like lands of nearby Mt. Nittany. A new partnership is proposed for 2006-2007 involving CRRA and the Mt. Nittany Conservancy (see Attachment #6 Letter and Attachment #7 Brochure & Map). This volunteer group, certified as a 501(c)3 organization, owns or manages 825 acres on Mt. Nittany (in College and Harris Townships). The volunteers have struggled to maintain or improve the miles of trails on the mountain, while the popular mountain trails host over 40,000 visitors per year. In many ways, Mt. Nittany functions like a municipal or state park area to residents and tourists, and it needs some conservation enhancements.
A. At Millbrook Marsh Nature Center, 548 Puddintown Road, College Twp.:
This site will continue to serve as the PCC Crew Headquarters & Office.
1. Erect stone wall & split rail safety fence around spring/sinkhole. 160 mh
2. Build boardwalk extension and wet area crossings. 640 mh
3. Install safety railings and benches at specified areas on the boardwalk. 320 mh
4. Habitat restorations and invasive plant removals. 560 mh
5. Nature Center barn and companion building upgrades (plumbing, carpentry, painting) 320 mh
Nature Center Subtotal 2,000 mh
B. At other municipal park sites within 8 miles of the nature center:
6. Playground safety renovations and installations per safety inspections. 960 mh
7. Build permanent picnic tables in 5 single table picnic shelters. 160 mh
8. Trail building, bench installation and renovations in appropriate areas and preserves. 320 mh
9. Habitat restorations, invasive plant removal and replantings. 560 mh
10. Athletic facility safety renovations and equipment installations. 640 mh
11. Remembrance Tree planting and maintenance. 320 mh
12. Streambank erosion control and stabilization. 320 mh
Parks Subtotal 3,280 mh
C. At Mt. Nittany Conservancy lands (1 mile from the nature center) :
13. Trail work, parking area renovation and erosion control. 640 mh
14. Single table shelter installation and building rest areas along trails and at overlooks. 320 mh
Mt. Nittany Conservancy Subtotal 960 mh
D. Inclement Weather Projects (at the nature center & at the Parks Shop):
15. Wetlab equipment & furnishings: build, install, construct displays. Complete wetlab construction. 640 mh
16. Construction and installation of interpretive displays and signs. 320 mh
17. Construct and install habitat boxes for various parks. 160 mh
18. Playground / park equipment assembly and rehabilitation. 160 mh
Inclement Weather Projects Subtotal 1,280 mh
GRAND TOTAL = 7,520 man-hours
PCC will also provide 75% reimbursement (up to $15,000) for materials for these projects.